Davenport English Dish (early 19th c.)
This is a Davenport English dish from the early 19th century (post-1805). The whole of the dish is painted with elaborate, intertwining flowers and petals. Each stem seems to bring about multiple kinds of flower all from the same plant. The dish is given a gold trim with three floral patterns centered within red, dark blue and violet waves respectively. This piece is estimated to have been made shortly after 1805, which is when the logo began using the Davenport name in upper case letters alongside an anchor.
Davenport Pottery was an English manufacturer of porcelain and earthenware based in Longport, Staffordshire. John Davenport (1765) had apparently begun potting in 1785 as both a workman and subsequently a partner of Thomas Wolfe of Stoke. In 1794 he began his own pottery at Longport where he manufactured earthenware. Davenport Pottery was run by John until 1830, where his two sons would take over upon his retirement. Until the company's end in 1887, their most notable output was Staffordshire tableware.