top of page

The Pelletreau Silver Shop

80 Main Street, Southampton, NY 11968

Originally built as a dry goods shop ca. 1686 for John Woodruff Jr. (ca. 1650-1703), one of the village's early colonial residents (he was born in Southampton). In 1728, the Woodruffs sold the shop to Francis Pelletreau (1697-1737), a prosperous whale oil merchant. The shop's most famous occupant was Francis's grandson, Elias Pelletreau (1726-1810), an acclaimed silversmith and celebrated American patriot.


Between 1750 and 1810, Elias Pelletreau crafted the tankards, flatware, porringers and other highly artistic but utilitarian items that are today collected by museums and fetch thousands of dollars. During the Revolutionary War, Pelletreau organized the local militia and could frequently be seen drilling his forces. His son, nephew and grandson continued the tradition of silversmithing in the same location into the 19th century.


Today, our resident artisan Alyssa Saccente occupies the shop, creating jewelry, teaching jewelry-making classes, and providing free tours for visitors. Take a look behind the shop and find a colonial-era vegetable garden managed by volunteers.


Read more about the Pelletreau Silver Shop on our blog



bottom of page