About our Historic Properties
The Rogers Mansion Museum Complex
17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton NY
The Rogers Mansion
In 2012 the Rogers Mansion Museum Complex, with 12 historic buildings, was awarded a unique designation on the National Register of Historic Places. The Gilded Age mansion stands today on land that was awarded to William Rogers in 1645 and which remained in the Rogers family through eight generations. In 1899 the dwelling was purchased by Samuel L. Parrish; an attorney from New York City, summer colonist, and founder of the Parrish Art Museum. Shortly after Parrish’s death in 1932 the Southampton Village acquired the mansion and it became home to various organizations like the YMCA and Red Cross. Later, in 1952 the Southampton History Museum leased the house and grounds from the village and began restoration. The house is filled with furnishings donated by members of the Southampton community, most dating from the Victorian (1837-1901) and Edwardian eras (1901-1910). On the grounds behind the mansion is Old Southampton Village with historic structures collected from different areas of Southampton. They include a 19th-century paint store, a blacksmith’s shop, a carpentry shop, an 1830 one-room schoolhouse and the 1825 Sayre Barn.
The Rogers Mansion Open Hours: March to December, Wednesday to Saturday, 11am to 4pm
Fordham & Elliston Paint Shop
The gabled trade store was built during the 1880’s as the
Dunwell Paint Shop and was converted later into a tavern called John Hen's Place. It was moved to the Rogers Mansion property in the 1950’s from its original Southampton location on Jobs Lane near Agawam Park, just down the road. The building was then furnished as an exhibit with the contents of a paint store called Fordham & Elliston, which was in business for many years on Jobs Lane about one block from the Rogers Mansion. To this day, an Elliston descendant named John Griffin helps to maintain the building.
This late 19th century farm building came from the Rose de Rose Estate on Hill Street, three blocks from the Mansion. The open slat siding and beveled sides encourage air circulation to keep mold from growing on the animal feed corn stored inside. It was built on stilts with a retractable stair to keep rodents out.
Boys & Girls Outhouses
This gable-roofed "Boys" outhouse was built in the late 19th century and was owned by the White family on Long Springs Rd. The gable-roofed "Girls" outhouse was built in the late 19th century and came from the Baird family of West Neck. Oral history says that its fanciful trim reveals its use for ladies. Both buildings are maintained by Emil Norsic and Sons, Inc.
Nugent Carriage House
Red Creek Schoolhouse
According to a 2016 Historic Structure Report, the gable-roofed structure was said to have been built in 1830 in the Red Creek area of the hamlet of Hampton Bays. It may be one of the oldest one room school house in New York State. It was the first building brought to the Rogers Mansions grounds in 1951.
The three-gable carriage house was built shortly after Dr. John Nugent purchased the property in 1889 to house carriages and servants. The second floor was finished with two dormer windows facing south to create two bedrooms, and a common room, with a large picture window on the east. Originally a land ramp was built from the double door entrance on the first floor, extending down about 100 feet to Meeting House Lane. The Museum probably added an extension on the north side to house a whale boat and collections of farm equipment in the 1950s.
This 1890 building was originally located behind Hildreth’s Department Store on Main Street. The window on top dates from the 1890s. The Shop exhibits a 19th century carpenter shop with tools. The building and exhibit are sponsored by John Griffin and Bob Skinner.
Built around 1790, this gabled building with an arched double doorway was at one time a horse stable on Hampton Road. The blacksmithing equipment was donated by Buddy Burnett whose family had a blacksmith shop in Water Mill. The building is maintained by Edward Howell III and his wife Carryl Bennett Howell of Kentucky.
Hildreth's General Store
This structure was built in 1893 as an outbuilding for the Van Brunt property on Wickapogue Road. When it came to the Rogers Mansion it housed an exhibit on the Corwith Drug Store. The interior today reflects merchandise sold in a dry goods store circa 1903, the year electricity was introduced in Southampton. Hildreth's Department Store maintains the building.
Bayman's Decoy Shed
This 1890s building was used originally as a corn crib in Water Mill. It originally housed a shoemaker's exhibit and was opened in 2008 as a decoy maker's workshop. Baymen harvested shellfish such as oysters and clams and hunted fowl in the off season. They would often carve decoys in their spare time. It is maintained by Betty Arnister in memory of her husband Arnold Arnister.
1825 Sayre Barn
This 1825 Barn was built at the busy intersection of an old post road running from Montauk to Brooklyn, now called Hampton Road, and an old trade route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Peconic Bay, now known as Main Street. The Barn was originally built by the Sayre Family in 1825 and we believe that it was originally used as an animal barn. Because of its prominent location it became well-known as the Billboard Barn where broadsides and flyers were posted for over 200 years. The Barn was moved to the Rogers Mansion in 1953 and opened as a 19th-century general store. In 2008 it was closed to the public because of its deteriorating condition. In 2010 it was placed on the Society for the Protection of
Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA) list of "Ten Most Endangered Historic Structures on Long Island." In 2013 and 2014 the Sayre Barn was reconstructed after the necessary funds were raised for its preservation.
The Thomas Halsey Homestead
249 South Main Street, Southampton NY
Thomas Halsey Sr., one of Southampton’s founders, and his family built the first farmhouse on this property a few years after arriving in 1640. They had stopped first in Lynn, Massachusetts, after leaving their native England. When they became dissatisfied with their situation in Lynn, they obtained a deed for land on Long Island from British authorities and later came to terms with the Shinnecock tribe. The current house was built c. 1683 by Thomas Halsey Jr. who inherited his father’s property and used wood frame timbers from his father’s house to build his own. The house remained in the Halsey family for several generations. Visitors who pass through the weathered front door find the wide-planked floors, hand-hewn beams, furnishings, textiles and objects that were the backdrop for domestic farm life in colonial times. Outside, the culinary and medicinal plants that were once household necessities flourish in a replication of a colonial herb garden.
The Thomas Halsey Homestead Open Hours: July to September, Only Saturdays, 11am to 4pm.
Visits at other times are by appointment only and must be made at least one week in advance and are subject to staff availability.
The Pelletreau Silver Shop
80 Main Street, Southampton NY
This 1686 trade shop is the oldest continuously, opened trade shop in the Americas. It was originally built for Stephen Boyer’s as a dry goods shop. It was purchased in 1717 by Francis Pelletreau, a prosperous whale oil merchant, but its most famous occupant was his grandson, Elias Pelletreau, an acclaimed silversmith and celebrated patriot. Between 1750 and 1810, Elias Pelletreau crafted the tankards, flatware, porringers and other highly artistic but utilitarian items that are today collected by museums and fetch thousands of dollars. During the Revolutionary War, Pelletreau organized the local militia and could frequently be seen drilling his forces. His son, nephew and grandson continued the tradition of silversmithing into the 19th century in the same location and today Master Jeweler Eric Messin occupies the shop, creating jewelry, informing visitors of the shop’s historical importance and conducting workshops in jewelry-making. Take a look behind the shop and find a colonial-era vegetable garden managed by volunteers.
The Pelletreau Silver Shop Open Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 11am to 4pm.
Conscience Point Historic Marker and Nature Walk
1640 Conscience Point Road, Southampton NY
In 1640, Southampton’s first settlers arrived in North Sea Harbor and upon reaching shore at this spot, one of them is said to have exclaimed: “For conscience sake, we’re on dry land.” An important whaling village called Feversham was quickly developed nearby and became the third largest port in the colonies during the 17th century, which disappeared 100 years later. In 1910, the Southampton History Museum acquired the site. Visitors to this peaceful waterfront area can find a 20-ton boulder commemorating Southampton’s founding by following a nature trail that boasts a rich variety of native shore plants and a host of birds. Sharing a parking lot with the area is the volunteer run Conscience Point Shellfish Hatchery which supplies over 1 million oyster seeds to nearby bays.
Conscience Point Open Hours: Year round, sunrise to sunset