One-Stroke Dominy Clock, 18th-19th century
The case of this one-stroke clock is made of pine and the clock itself made of sheet iron, with the dial painted black and white. The clock is signed "N. Dominy", which throws into question the identity of the person who made this clock.
The first Nathaniel Dominy (? - 1687) was a yeoman farmer who settled in East Hampton in 1687. His son Nathaniel II (1684 - 1768) was a yeoman, weaver, and served as assessor, tax collector, highway commissioner and constable. He would also supervise the building of the first poorhouse and saw mill.
Nathaniel III (1714 - 1778) was a carpenter who married Elizabeth Eyres, whose family were clock makers in England. He trained his son Nathaniel IV (1770 - 1852) in woodworking and may have learned clock-making because of his Eyres family connection. His son, Nathaniel V (dates uncertain), and grandson, Felix (1800 - 1868), continued making furniture in East Hampton until the 1840s.
Due to the Dominy lineage between Nathaniel IV and Felix, it's difficult to assess which Dominy family member specfically manufactured this piece. The clock itself was donated to the museum by Misses Ann & Catherine MacVeady of Southampton, in memory of their sister Adele.