Sat, Aug 12|
Halsey House & Garden
Plein Air Painting with Howard Rose - 2023 Session 6
A painting workshop for artists of all calibers working outside on SHM properties. Discounted tickets for SHM Members!
Time & Location
Aug 12, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Halsey House & Garden, 249 S Main St, Southampton, NY 11968, USA
About the Event
Join us this summer to learn the joys of plein air painting on the grounds of the Southampton History Museum. Plein air painting is simply the act of painting while outside in fresh air rather than a studio. Southampton has a huge historical connection to this practice with the Shinnecock Hills Summer School of Art being one of the first and most popular plein air painting schools in America that had William Merritt Chase as its director. Come and experience a bit of history while you learn from a professional artist and teacher how to create a successful outdoor painting, using his logical step-by-step process from starting a painting to the finished work.
You will be required to bring the following supplies
- Paints (suggested colors from the instructor - Cadmium Yellow Light, Yellow Ochre, Alizerin Crimson, Viridian Green, Thalo Yellow Green (from Grumbacker) Ultramarine blue, Kings Blue (from Williamsburg paints only), Burnt Siena, Titanium white - a lot of the white)
- Brushes - Princeton synthetic oil painting brushes, Brights numbers 2, 4 and 6, Filbers numbers 2, 4 and 6
- Pallette knife
- Turpenoid - for cleaning, not turpentine
- a glass jar to clean brushes in
- Painting Panels - 6x6, 6x8 or 8x10 are the suggested sizes, no bigger. Gesso board or Blick are the suggested brands.
- Pallette - either wood shellacked, glass, or paper
- Paper towels
- a tripod and post shot box
- Questions about the materials? Please call the teacher Howard Rose at 516-660-9404
- This program is intended for adult and teenage artists 15 years of age and older
- $40 for SHM members
- $50 for SHM non-members
- The name of the ticket buyer must match the name of the SHM membership and your membership must be up to date upon the day of registering. If you purchase member tickets and are not a member you will be required to make up the difference.
- Not sure if you are a member or you would like to sign up to become a member? Call us today - 631-283-2494!
- Please park on the West side of South Main Street, the same side as the property, and obey all posted signage.
From $40.00 to $50.00
Aug 11, 1:00 PM
Not sure if you are a member? Call us today at 631-283-2494. This program is intended for adult and teenage artists 15 years of age and older.
From $40.00 to $50.00Price optionPriceQuantityTotal