17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY 11968
This 1825 Barn was built at the busy intersection of an old post road running from Montauk to Brooklyn, now called Hampton Road, and an old trade route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Peconic Bay, now known as Main Street. The Barn was originally built by the Sayre Family in 1825 and we believe that it was originally used as an animal barn. Because of its prominent location it became well-known as the Billboard Barn where broadsides and flyers were posted for over 200 years. The Barn was moved to the Rogers Mansion in 1953 and opened as a 19th-century general store. In 2008 it was closed to the public because of its deteriorating condition. In 2010 it was placed on the Society for the Protection of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA) list of "Ten Most Endangered Historic Structures on Long Island." In 2013 and 2014 the Sayre Barn was reconstructed after the necessary funds were raised for its preservation.